Sunday, July 7, 2013

Things I will miss from the United Kingdom.

Walking Everywhere. Walking has become so much of my life. It has taught me to prioritize and to truly think about where I am going. Also, it has caused me to slow down and to take in the scenery. I can't lie to you and say that there aren't times that I find it annoying, especially in the rain or when I have to go to 4 different places and carry bags back home, but overall I have truly loved walking around this country. It is just so easy, especially in Edinburgh, because walking is encouraged.

Beautiful scenery. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The United Kingdom is an incredibly beautiful country. I love nothing more than sitting on the train and looking out the window onto the landscape. You've got such a mixture of land: hill district, peak district, lake district, highlands, villages, seaside, prairie, and so on. In Edinburgh, you have the city with bits and pieces of nature such as Arthur's Seat, the Water of Leith, Botanical Gardens, and Calton Hill. Doesn't get much better than that.


Beautiful Buildings. You guys, Edinburgh is honestly one of the gorgeous cities in the world. I find myself looking up a lot here (unless I'm trying to not trip over the cobblestones) and just admiring the craftsmanship that went into the buildings here. And in London, St. Andrews, and other, small villages the cottages and buildings are also beautiful. There is much diversity, but I am always amazed.


Haggis. Believe me, never in my life would I ever imagine that I would put this down as something I'll miss, but man...I love me some haggis. In fact, just last night I had the best haggis, tatties, and neeps of my life. The peppery comfort of haggis is something that I have grown to love. There is something about eating a traditional dish that makes you feel a part of a culture.

Tea. I'm talking proper tea. I mean, I'm sure I will search for tea at home, but it is just so common and cultural here. Tea stands for so many things. When you're upset, you put on the kettle. When you want to be hospitable, you put in the kettle. If you want to take a break to stop and enjoy, put on the kettle. I am going to try to make it a goal to never have tea 'on the go' because it isn't meant for that. It is meant to stop and enjoy. Tea is also a lot like relationships. It takes time to brew and gain flavor and when you add other elements it becomes a beautiful partnership. Seriously, I am in love with tea.


Bethany House. This seems like an obvious answer, but I really will miss the House. It has become a place of relationship, community, and growth. I've laughed and cried there and met some of the most incredible people in my life. I've seen heart ache and pure joy. What an incredible place.

People. This also seems like an obvious answer, but it's true. Not only will I miss those at the House (both staff and residents) but also people at church, Time For God, Pam, Julie, Cliff College, and just people in Edinburgh that I've met on nights out or wherever. I've had some amazing conversations ranging over all sorts of topics and have truly loved every minute.


Fish and Chips from a proper, greasy chippy. You guys, Brits know how to do fish and chips. Yes, I know we have it in the States but it is NOT the same. Being able to walk into a chippy and ask for a fish supper for about 6 pound? Nothing better. Obviously it is a treat that is every once in a while as that much fried goodness is not necessary, but man..it's worth it.


The Flat. I love our little flat. Living on Leith Walk can be an interesting thing at times, but we think our flat is in the perfect spot. It's only about a 20 minute walk to work one way and a 20 minute walk to Princes Street and the Royal Mile the other way. The three of us has loved living here and we are so thankful to the Trust for providing it.

Janet and Irina. The Flatmates. When I think about leaving these beautiful women, I cry. This year, we have been through so, so much. We've had our fair share of ups and downs, but we've also shared in so much laughter and love. I have learned so much of each of them and don't know what I'd do, where I'd be, or who'd I be without them. From sitting on our hall floor and talking about our days to sitting on the beach in Anstruther, I have had so many incredible conversations with these two. I love them to bits and will miss them every day.

Be very honest, there is so much more that I will miss, but this list would go on for forever. I've just fallen so in love with this place and these people and I'm sad to leave them. That being said, I am also extremely excited to return to my home and supporting communities back in the States. To say that I am a mixture of emotions is an understatement.

I am abundantly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment