Saturday, January 26, 2013

Burns Night: Bit o' history and tradition.

The 25th of January marks Robert Burns night in Scotland. 

Robert Burns was a Scottish poet and lyricist. He is known at the national poet and has written many a poem and song in 'Scottish Dialect'. He is also known as 'Rabbie Burns' and 'Ploughman Poet' among other titles. 

Here is one of Burns' poems in Scottish dialect called To A Haggis:

Fair fa' your honest sonsie face, 
Great chieftain o' the puddin'-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill;
Yor pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o' need;
While thro' your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright
Like ony ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin', rich!

Then, horn for horn they stretch an' strive,
Deil tak the hindmost, on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
Then auld guid man, maist like to rive,
Bethankit hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout,
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad mak her spew
Wi' perfect sconner,
Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckless as a wither'd rash,
His spindle shank a guid whip-lash,
His nieve a nit;
Thro' bloody flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll mak it whissle;
An' legs, an' arms, an' heads will sned,
Like taps o' thrissle.

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o' fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer,
Gie her a Haggis!



To celebrate, Scots come together and read his poetry, sing some of his songs, and east haggis, tatties, and neeps. 


Haggis, tatties, and neeps are: haggis is a savoury pudding that had sheeps heart, liver, and lungs, tatties is a very Scottish way of saying potatoes, and neeps is a very Scottish way of saying turnips. Now, I have had real haggis and it's...okay. I don't love it but that may be because I actually know what is in it and that weirds me out big time. I have, however, tried and liked vegetarian haggis. I would even consider making that on my one. 

To celebrate this joyous day, I went to the Burns Night celebration at my church. Like I described above, the night was full of poetry, songs, and a quiz about Mr. Burns. We ate the dish of the night followed by a delicious, traditional Scottish dessert called Cranachan (kran-ah-can). Cranachan is made up of whipped cream, raspberries, honey, and oatmeal. It was lovely, let me tell you.


Then, of course, there was tea and coffee along with good old, Scottish shortbread. I've found that if shortbread is near me it is QUITE difficult to say no to. Needless to day, I didn't refuse. The night was really lovely. I sat at a fantastic table of new friends that I laughed with and got to know. 

Robert Burns night is just one of the many Scottish traditions that I have grown to love. Continuously learning about this country and community has been brilliant.

A very famous song written by Burns that you may know is Auld Lang Syne. It is often sang on New Years Ever just after the clock strikes midnight. In Scotland, it is also sung as the very last song at a Ceilidh (Scottish dance). I leave you with the lyrics. It is a song that is quite fitting for my time here so far. Hope you enjoyed this wee history lesson!

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!

For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne. 
 


Translation:
Should old acquaintances by forgotten,
And never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintances be forgotten,
And days of long ago!

For times gone by, my dear
For times gone by
We will take a cup of kindness yet
For times gone by.


No comments:

Post a Comment